How Much Does It Cost to Start a Brewery?

In September, I wrote a post for Beerpulse about how I’d raised $1.25 million to start the brewery. Last week, when I asked Modern Times’ Facebook fans for suggestions on my eventual Kickstarter video, a few people were like, “Whoa, whoa, WHOA there, Mr. Moneybags, what do you need a Kickstarter campaign for seeing as you already got all that sweet, sweet money? Eh, Lord Bountiful?”

It may sound ridiculous, but it never occurred to me that anyone would think $1.25 million was a huge sum given the task at hand. If you found it in a suitcase, yes, it would seem like a lot, probably because you’d start thinking about how much coke you could buy with it. If it were your annual salary, then yup, that’d be a lot too, even though you’d probably have an absurdly distorted sense of your own relative wealth and deny it like a jerk. But if that’s all the money you have to start a 30 bbl brewery, then no, that is not a lot of money.

Can you start a 30 bbl brewery for less? Absolutely. There are all kinds of ways you can compromise quality, sacrifice worker safety, put off crucial purchases, make yourself inefficient, and worsen the consumer experience that will save you money.

That statement may make it sound like I have unreasonably high standards, but trust me, I do not. Some perspective: there are many, many new breweries that have smaller brewing systems, smaller buildings, and smaller ambitions that have raised a lot more than $1.25 million. And spent it all. And needed more. The difference is that most people won’t tell you how much money they raised, so you don’t get to question their fundraising choices.

My general approach to start-up expenses is pragmatic. I don’t care if something is used or looks like shit or isn’t hyper-efficient from the get go. Initially, the brewery just has to function well enough to make beer that meets reasonable standards for quality while being a decent place to work and visit. The basics.

But what are “reasonable standards”? Some would argue that a brewery couldn’t meet “reasonable standards” of quality without a laundry list of items that others would consider decadent, sinful luxuries.

I, for instance, consider a 3-vessel brewing system an unholy luxury, but there are oodles of start-ups that feel a need to have 3 and 4 vessel systems. Some people consider a North American made brewing system an absolute necessity; I do not. Hell, some people see sloped floors as a luxury (and there are large, successful breweries with floors that are goddamn stinking pietri dishes of multi-colored molds and fungi who still make excellent beer, so clearly it can be done), but I do not consider sloped floors a luxury. And that will end up costing me over $50,000.

So each day, I have to decide what standard I can set with the budget I have. Rest assured, it is not an excessively high standard. A grain silo, more sloped floor space, a third 30 bbl fermenter, a spent grain removal system, a separate mash mixer, a well-equipped lab, a decently sized pilot brewing system, and a tasting room cold box are all items I’ve said “no” or “maybe” to recently because of budget concerns.

The absence of those things will impact the consumer experience in one way or another. I could afford all of them if I’d raised twice as much money. But I didn’t.

So when you see me launch the Modern Times Kickstarter campaign, it will be those kinds of things that generous donors will be asked to finance. Things that will make their experience of the beer and the brewery better. Because whatever those things are, I can’t afford them right now.

Comments

James

Wed, 01/16/2013 - 05:49

I agree with Thomas. This was a very well written and insightful article. I will say this though, there is a local brewery here in Jacksonville, FL called Bold City Brewery that started their opertions with a mere $250k. They sold close to 6,000 barrels last year, which was only their 4th in operation. While speaking to the owner he emphasized that there is a common misconception that it takes a million dollars to start a brewery. Granted they had to search high and low for used equipment, and had to put in a lot of extra hours an elbow grease to get some of the equipment functioning again, but they made with what they had. He said it's really all in how much time and effort you are willing to put into the busines, which really pertains to anything you do in life. Just thought I'd share. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

MAKE EASY MONE…

Fri, 07/13/2018 - 03:15

ATTENTION!ATTENTION!!ATTENTION!!!

Have you heard about programmed ATM card?
We have special cash loaded programmed ATM card for you to buy your dream car, house and to start up your own business. Our ATM card can be used to withdraw cash at any ATM or swipe, stores and POS. Our card has daily withdrawal limit depending card balance you order.
Contact us to know our card balance and cost.
Email/Hangout: rustybenard2012@gmail.com

You can also watch our video

ATTENTION!ATTENTION!!ATTENTION!!!

Have you heard about programmed ATM card?
Contact us to know our card balance and cost.
Email/Hangout: rustybenard2012@gmail.com

You can also watch our video

modern

Mon, 12/24/2018 - 03:25

Therefore, it is advisable to learn about a genuine service agency to make your old fashioned paper. Customer Care Number May want to you need a man to compose my essay we are a wholly commited team that's prepared to offer our providers for you. If you happen to pick up support, it's extremely important to get started browsing for optimum institution. Toll Free Number Thanks for sharing such great information. If you would like to Buy medicine Online you can visit our site: Helpline Number

You have ratings and lots of very similar organizations and businesses onto the segment and you should be pretty careful and qualified to tell apart a professional customer service. Should the task is done, you own an ability to obtain more expert services and improve the position. Though it supplies expert services, Phone Number the consumers can find premium large excellent data files written by skilled professional. Service Center Contact Address

Tyler G.

Mon, 09/16/2019 - 01:47

I've definitely considered starting up a micro brewery in my city. They have become quite popular and are growing at a steady rate. City is a bigger one so it's no surprise that the market has developed a larger interest. We have tried roasting our own coffee in the past without much luck in terms of making a solid profit but we also didn't have much start up revenue to work with. WE now have a large sum saved up so we were thinking of opening up a brewery & cafe together! Who doesn't like quality beer and good coffee!? Anyways, I'll for sure be reading more on here and learning as much as i can, good to see there are others here chiming in with their opinions as well, the more the better!
Tyler | drivingschoolwinnipeg.com | window cleaning steinbach

nonton bola nobartv

Tue, 07/07/2020 - 02:21

Chelsea vs Manchester City akan menjadi laga penutup pekan ke-31 Liga Inggris pada Jumat (26/6/2020), pukul 02.15 WIB. Jalannya pertandingan Premier League 2019/2020 yang bakal dihelat di Stamford Bridge ini dapat disaksikan melalui siaran langsung live streaming di Mola TV. Duel Aston Villa vs Chelsea akan berlangsung pada Minggu (21/6/2020) pukul 22.15 WIB untuk lanjutan pekan ke-30 Liga Inggris. Berdasarkan head to head kedua tim, The Blues diprediksi mampu meraih poin penuh di Villa Park karena selalu menang dalam 5 laga termutakhir kedua tim.
Live Streaming Nonton Bola Online NOBARTV.COM
Nonton Live Streaming Bola Berkualitas dan Lengkap NOBAR.FUN
Cara Nonton Bola Real Madrid vs Eibar: Streaming Bola Gratis
Strategi Klopp Menangani Liverpool
Info Liverpool Jadwal Liga Inggris
Siaran Langsung La Liga: Saksikan Liga Sepak Bola Spanyol Online
fansbarcelona999.blogspot.com nobartv
FANS BARCELONA JADWAL LIVE STREAMING BARCELONA
Cara Nonton Bola Online Semifinal Coppa Italia di Negaramu
juventusindo.weebly.com nobartv
menonton live streaming bola nobartv pertandingan online
fansliverpool.yolasite.com
Layanan TV Bola Online Nonton Live Streaming Liga Inggris GRATIS
Fans Keren Manchester United Indonesia
Jadwal Big Match Liga Inggris Juni - Juli 2020
Jadwal Nobar Streaming Bola Online
NobarTV Bola Liga Inggris Bagi Para Fans Bola Indonesia
Nonton Film Bioskop Terbaru Subtitle Bahasa Indonesia (Sub Indo)
theoldreader.com/profile/ccfe5329927cc8d151cd5804
linktr.ee/nobartv_online
nobartv.site
Chelsea semakin dekat dengan target mengunci transfer Timo Werner dengan biaya 53 juta paun. The Blues dilaporkan telah membangun komunikasi dengan penyerang asal Jerman tersebut dan tinggal menyelesaikan urusan transfer dengan RB Leipzig. Di Stamford Bridge, Werner ditawari kontrak lima tahun dengan gaji 200.000 paun per pekan.

Bernadine

Sun, 07/19/2020 - 01:09

I seldom create responses, but after reading a few of the remarks
on Add new comment | Modern Times Beer. I do have a few questions for you if it's allright.
Is it simply me or does it seem like some of the responses look like they are written by brain dead visitors?
:-P And, if you are posting at other places, I would like to follow everything new you have to
post. Would you list of every one of your social sites like your linkedin profile,
Facebook page or twitter feed?

Here is my web-site :: 먹튀검증사이트

How much does …

Mon, 12/10/2012 - 03:12

[...] More >> Modern Times Beer. [...]

Modern Times

Wed, 01/16/2013 - 05:53

That's exactly my point: you can start for much less, but it depends on what you view as a "necessity" (also on how big you want to go.) If you don't feel that sloped and coated floors, a steam jacketed kettle, etc. etc. are necessary, then you can start with less. But those decisions have a very real impact on both the consumer experience and the work experience in the brewery.

Alan

Tue, 12/11/2012 - 06:42

I love how transparent you are about the process. I think there are a lot of people out there (like myself) that love trying new beer from new breweries but don't know anything about brewing specifics.

When you break it down like this, it's clear you're serious and have a plan of attack.

I'd be more willing to donate to a kickstarter run by a project that already has a bunch of assets but explains what else they need to purchase and why in an open, honest, logical and reasonable way than a brewery begging for $10K trying to rush into production and distribution.

Ronda

Tue, 01/14/2020 - 09:52

When it involves fitness and health the absolute most common inquiry talked to is
just how may one firm up or tone muscles.

Look into my web blog - discover this info here

Modern Times

Tue, 12/11/2012 - 06:48

Awesome, glad to hear it Alan. Rest assured I will detail exactly what Kickstarter funds will be used for. Honesty is, for me, at the root of authenticity, so every time I ask myself, "Should I really be putting this info out there?", the answer almost always ends up being "yes."

Thomas M.

Tue, 12/11/2012 - 04:30

Excellent article and very well written I must say. If prose is your weakness compared to your brewing skill, America, watch out we've got a winner. Best of luck in the endeavour and I hope you're able to exceed the funding goals on Kickstarter.

Raul

Sat, 09/21/2019 - 04:28

A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment.
There's no doubt that that you should publish more about this subject,
it may not be a taboo matter but usually folks don't speak about these
topics. To the next! All the best!!

Here is my web blog Gregory Bezrukov

Leanna

Wed, 12/25/2019 - 04:10

When someone writes an post he/she retains the plan of
a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it. So
that's why this piece of writing is perfect. Thanks!

Also visit my blog post; get more info

Rebekah

Tue, 01/14/2020 - 09:35

Some of the very first thing to remember along with fitness
supplements for women is actually that a number of these have not been actually clinically
tested.

Feel free to surf to my webpage: Our Web Page

Aja

Thu, 04/02/2020 - 08:07

Hey, thats great, ill give this a share on my twitter for sure, thank you..

Also visit my web-site: Top House renovations

Kirby

Tue, 01/14/2020 - 10:09

Remaining fit as well as staying physically energetic both
link with healthiness.

Take a look at my web site; browse around these guys

Whitney

Wed, 02/05/2020 - 10:28

PT is a work-out procedure which rotates around exercising to treat different physical ailments.
For example people that have satisfied along with a major accident
or are actually recouping coming from any type
of accident demand PT to receive back into best functioning type.
It can additionally be actually related to heal disabilities and conditions including neck and back pain,
joint inflammation and so on.

Also visit my site; Going Here

Modern Times

Fri, 02/01/2013 - 11:55

1. Yes, it was exaggerated for effect, but nonetheless, the comments sounded suspicious of my motives, rather than purely curious. Either way, it's the internet and there's no tone of voice, so it's hard to tell.

2. If you disagree in principle with crowdfunding, then we just have to agree to disagree. I think Kickstarter is amazing and brilliant and totally appropriate because businesses are not just profit/loss machines, they are social organisms and it makes perfect sense to me why someone would want to participate in the creation of one. Practically speaking, there are countless benefits to making improvements when you're already doing construction rather than waiting until you've accumulated capital through sales.

3. They do share in the rewards by receiving--literally--rewards, which in this case will include t-shirts. Kickstarter allows fans to work towards a common goal on a deadline, which you can't do with a standard online shop.

4. Glad to hear you're a fan of the blog!

Hyman

Thu, 12/26/2019 - 12:59

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more
of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I'll certainly return.

Here is my blog :: dubai desert safari

Mike Strickland

Fri, 02/01/2013 - 11:07

I'm late to the commenting party here, but I suspect I may be the genesis of this posting. Though I don't recall referring to you as "Lord Bountiful," I did comment the following on Facebook: "I may have missed something, but I'm curious why a brewery that raised over $1M in startup funds needs a Kickstarter campaign?"

My comment (and the single other comment questioning your need for more funds) lacked the snarky tone of the example in your first paragraph above, but as a wordsmith myself, I give you a pass for artistic license to make your point (which, I agree with the others, was well expressed).

Just to clarify why I asked the question in the first place, I suppose I personally disagree on principle with the idea of a for-profit enterprise essentially asking for donations (you yourself use the word "donors"), especially when that business is already well funded. Yes, I understand the Kickstarter model -- it's more like patronage than charity -- but in spirit, it's meant to fund creative projects, not businesses (I'm not saying brewing is not creative, but it is a business nevertheless). If you have enough money to start now, but would like to have the extra bells 'n' whistles that more funds could buy, then maybe the better approach would be to open with what you've got, and if your product is all that (I look forward to trying it), then the funds to improve your customers' experience will come.

I also believe that anyone who shares the financial risk of starting a new business should participate in the reward of that business' success as well. If you want to raise money in the kinds of incremental amounts you'd get from fans, why not just sell merchandise of some kind? That seems more like a mutually beneficial exchange. I probably wouldn't contribute via Kickstarter, but I'd buy a T-shirt or two! :-)

In any case, you aren't holding a gun to anyone's head, and I applaud the transparency you've demonstrated so far in your business. Anyone who chooses to sponsor your campaign will certainly know what they're getting out of it. My opinion is mine alone; I just wanted to clarify my original comment, after I saw it might have inspired your posting (though I'm terribly late in chiming in). And while I haven't tried your beers yet, I count myself a fan of your blog!

Dave Bennett

Thu, 05/23/2013 - 12:31

I completely agree that $1.25million is not an obscene amount of money when you are starting a Brewery. I remember when I opened mine the shipping alone for three 30BBL tanks was a good chunk of change. Which is a whole different story. After spending an outrageous amount of money on shipping and other cost when you are new to this industry you start getting a little knowledge and finding out what everything cost and what companies to work with for transportation, installation and so on and so forth.

I also want to recommend to anyone weather it be 1st time shippers our people who have been doing it for years B4 Logistics takes care of all my transportation needs and are by far have the best communication i have dealt with thus far. So if you are looking to ship some tanks I suggest looking them up. B4heavyhaul.com

Christal

Tue, 01/14/2020 - 12:20

In today's period physical wellness is actually of utmost
importance.

My web blog; visit the up coming site

kmanandsingh

Wed, 04/09/2014 - 08:00

hi i want start beer factory in india how much cost required and equipments required to start the factoru

Otis the Town Drunk

Tue, 02/24/2015 - 08:25

Hi. I want two start beer factory in my house. You teach me how fore how much dollars ?

Rick Astley

Tue, 02/24/2015 - 08:29

We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy

I just want to tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

[Chorus:]
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it

And if you ask me how I'm freeing
Don't tell me you're too blind to see

[Chorus x2]
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

(Ooh give you up)
(Ooh give you up)
(Ooh) Never gonna give, never gonna give (give you up)
(Ooh) Never gonna give, never gonna give (give you up)

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it

I just want to tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

[Chorus]
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Milton

Mon, 06/17/2019 - 04:19

Hi, Neat post. There's a problem together with your site in web explorer, could check this?
IE still is the market chief and a huge portion of folks will pass
over your great writing because of this problem.

Here is my weblog ... Learn More Here

Jed

Thu, 12/26/2019 - 01:00

This is a topic that's near to my heart... Thank you!
Where are your contact details though?

Here is my page - desert safari

mark

Wed, 06/24/2015 - 12:43

Not a fan of this guy... Grass roots businesses need to do more for less, not beg like a bit*h. Also who are you to not once but twice question someone's motives for their comment? That other guy was giving you large benifit of the doubt and still you tried to slam him... Real cute. $50,000 for a sloped floor is ridiculous and only showed that you don't knowJack about contractors

Jesse

Mon, 12/17/2018 - 01:11

In simply click the following internet page modern globe, a major amount of individual population withstands illness pertaining to demanding anxiety.
A lot of these preys unfortunately begin utilizing strong
anti-anxiety prescriptions in hopes of remedying their illness, without the expertise that all-natural herbs
may drastically slender stress and anxiety. I am actually mosting likely to go over a handful of factors with you listed below on why just
before turning to using costly and also possibly dangerous medicines, you ought to review using natural herbs.

Zoila

Tue, 01/14/2020 - 09:35

Our company may construct the relevance of fitness along agree with this the rise of health facilities, health clubs, health and fitness
equipments, physical exercise plans.

Kishore Maharjan

Sun, 09/13/2015 - 05:38

Can someone give clue as to how much it would cost to setup a brewery plant that can produce beer of Warsteiner quality, with capacity of 60,000 HL per annum?

Rhonda

Tue, 09/24/2019 - 03:59

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right
here. The sketch is tasteful, your autuored subject matter stylish.
nonetheless, you command get got an impatience ovr that you wish be delivering the
following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

Here is mmy web site ... https://filipino-women.net

Dennis

Tue, 01/14/2020 - 10:23

In the recent years the usefulness of fitness has been actually
increased to a greater magnitude.

My homepage: helpful site

Geraldo

Sun, 02/09/2020 - 06:21

It's not easy to locate legitimate fat burning drinks
and foods that assist you reduce weight. However they are available and this write-up
will certainly show you just where to get them. But prior to
we enter into the topic itself, it is important to note that
many diet regimen foods and also weight loss drinks are
lies. They do not work.

Also visit my site; read more

Akash

Sun, 11/01/2015 - 01:15

Hmm'hmmm Some people believe that the beer is most necessarily in life . I hope tha5 beer is the best in the world

PAWAN

Sat, 01/09/2016 - 11:41

i want to open beer plant at Rajasthan in India
please give me financial support

Josh

Sat, 01/16/2016 - 04:59

It's odd to think you need over a million. I've been to a lot of micro breweries and my favorite beer is always home brew. Made with a couple hundred dollars of equipment. Personally I'd rather go to a place with 100 5 gallon buckets fermenting than the big brew places. They lose the crispness.

Faye

Sun, 09/15/2019 - 05:23

Good post! I checked out your blog site quite regularly,
and you're continuously coming up with some decent staff.
I shared this post on my Facebook, and my followers loved it.
To the next. Cheers.

my web-site - Alex Wood

Sabir ali

Thu, 01/28/2016 - 04:49

Sir im interest in small beer factory plant maharashtra
Procedure and licenced etc.

Alex

Sun, 02/07/2016 - 12:48

Shoot, so that's that one susospep.

S r rao

Thu, 03/24/2016 - 10:35

Sir I would interest in small beer factory plant in vizag please tell me procedure and minimum cost of plant with full details

Alex

Tue, 07/05/2016 - 08:19

"Not a fan of this guy… Grass roots businesses need to do more for less, not beg like a bit*h. Also who are you to not once but twice question someone’s motives for their comment? That other guy was giving you large benifit of the doubt and still you tried to slam him… Real cute. $50,000 for a sloped floor is ridiculous and only showed that you don’t knowJack about contractors."
Mark,
You are entitled to your own opinions and hurt sensibilities, so i'll leave you alone there.
However, I think you're off on your assumptions about the $50,000 sloped floor. Depending, on how exactly it is done, I see anywhere from $5-$12/sq ft for the slope in a brewery. Of course,variables include type of material, degree of slope, PSI, location, etc. I believe modern times was a 30 BBL brewhouse at ~3,000 BBL its first year within 12,500 sq ft, with several bright tanks and fermenters, maybe glycol and other big heavy tanks. Upon sloping the floor, they probably also installed trenches, and some effluent plumbing, a curb, perhaps other necessities as well. Brewers will reinforce that a sloped floor is not a luxury, it is nearly a requirement. With 3,000 BBL on the first year, and plans for expansion (24,000 this year), it makes far more sense to do that up front. No one wants to be in charge of squeegeeing the other water that comes with 24,000 BBL worth of production. Its also inefficient.

Pranali

Tue, 07/26/2016 - 12:31

I wanted to start up beer industry in maharastra..
Plzz suggest....

R.DINESH

Wed, 11/02/2016 - 06:44

I will start a new beer factory.

Tabitha

Tue, 01/14/2020 - 09:23

Fitness and health is actually click the next website key
to a long, active and also pleasurable life.

Laxmi narayana

Thu, 12/01/2016 - 06:26

I want to start a beer company in Hyderabad . so please give me the estimation cost with minimum investment.

Shubham Bhalla

Sun, 01/22/2017 - 06:52

I have 63000acre land of my family in India I want to own a international business in alcoholic beverages company name address phone email and I have to go back in touch base on my own a house that the same as before you go ahead of you who me to send it out of stock image not sure how long does the trick is a great time and place them on a sprint cup format for a couple days and then the rest are the same day service to our house in +91 7206251749on my phone and blackberry by us know when the sun

Previous page