How Much Does It Cost to Start a Brewery?

In September, I wrote a post for Beerpulse about how I’d raised $1.25 million to start the brewery. Last week, when I asked Modern Times’ Facebook fans for suggestions on my eventual Kickstarter video, a few people were like, “Whoa, whoa, WHOA there, Mr. Moneybags, what do you need a Kickstarter campaign for seeing as you already got all that sweet, sweet money? Eh, Lord Bountiful?”

It may sound ridiculous, but it never occurred to me that anyone would think $1.25 million was a huge sum given the task at hand. If you found it in a suitcase, yes, it would seem like a lot, probably because you’d start thinking about how much coke you could buy with it. If it were your annual salary, then yup, that’d be a lot too, even though you’d probably have an absurdly distorted sense of your own relative wealth and deny it like a jerk. But if that’s all the money you have to start a 30 bbl brewery, then no, that is not a lot of money.

Can you start a 30 bbl brewery for less? Absolutely. There are all kinds of ways you can compromise quality, sacrifice worker safety, put off crucial purchases, make yourself inefficient, and worsen the consumer experience that will save you money.

That statement may make it sound like I have unreasonably high standards, but trust me, I do not. Some perspective: there are many, many new breweries that have smaller brewing systems, smaller buildings, and smaller ambitions that have raised a lot more than $1.25 million. And spent it all. And needed more. The difference is that most people won’t tell you how much money they raised, so you don’t get to question their fundraising choices.

My general approach to start-up expenses is pragmatic. I don’t care if something is used or looks like shit or isn’t hyper-efficient from the get go. Initially, the brewery just has to function well enough to make beer that meets reasonable standards for quality while being a decent place to work and visit. The basics.

But what are “reasonable standards”? Some would argue that a brewery couldn’t meet “reasonable standards” of quality without a laundry list of items that others would consider decadent, sinful luxuries.

I, for instance, consider a 3-vessel brewing system an unholy luxury, but there are oodles of start-ups that feel a need to have 3 and 4 vessel systems. Some people consider a North American made brewing system an absolute necessity; I do not. Hell, some people see sloped floors as a luxury (and there are large, successful breweries with floors that are goddamn stinking pietri dishes of multi-colored molds and fungi who still make excellent beer, so clearly it can be done), but I do not consider sloped floors a luxury. And that will end up costing me over $50,000.

So each day, I have to decide what standard I can set with the budget I have. Rest assured, it is not an excessively high standard. A grain silo, more sloped floor space, a third 30 bbl fermenter, a spent grain removal system, a separate mash mixer, a well-equipped lab, a decently sized pilot brewing system, and a tasting room cold box are all items I’ve said “no” or “maybe” to recently because of budget concerns.

The absence of those things will impact the consumer experience in one way or another. I could afford all of them if I’d raised twice as much money. But I didn’t.

So when you see me launch the Modern Times Kickstarter campaign, it will be those kinds of things that generous donors will be asked to finance. Things that will make their experience of the beer and the brewery better. Because whatever those things are, I can’t afford them right now.

Comments

James

Wed, 01/16/2013 - 05:49

I agree with Thomas. This was a very well written and insightful article. I will say this though, there is a local brewery here in Jacksonville, FL called Bold City Brewery that started their opertions with a mere $250k. They sold close to 6,000 barrels last year, which was only their 4th in operation. While speaking to the owner he emphasized that there is a common misconception that it takes a million dollars to start a brewery. Granted they had to search high and low for used equipment, and had to put in a lot of extra hours an elbow grease to get some of the equipment functioning again, but they made with what they had. He said it's really all in how much time and effort you are willing to put into the busines, which really pertains to anything you do in life. Just thought I'd share. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

MAKE EASY MONE…

Fri, 07/13/2018 - 03:15

ATTENTION!ATTENTION!!ATTENTION!!!

Have you heard about programmed ATM card?
We have special cash loaded programmed ATM card for you to buy your dream car, house and to start up your own business. Our ATM card can be used to withdraw cash at any ATM or swipe, stores and POS. Our card has daily withdrawal limit depending card balance you order.
Contact us to know our card balance and cost.
Email/Hangout: rustybenard2012@gmail.com

You can also watch our video

ATTENTION!ATTENTION!!ATTENTION!!!

Have you heard about programmed ATM card?
Contact us to know our card balance and cost.
Email/Hangout: rustybenard2012@gmail.com

You can also watch our video

modern

Mon, 12/24/2018 - 03:25

Therefore, it is advisable to learn about a genuine service agency to make your old fashioned paper. Customer Care Number May want to you need a man to compose my essay we are a wholly commited team that's prepared to offer our providers for you. If you happen to pick up support, it's extremely important to get started browsing for optimum institution. Toll Free Number Thanks for sharing such great information. If you would like to Buy medicine Online you can visit our site: Helpline Number

You have ratings and lots of very similar organizations and businesses onto the segment and you should be pretty careful and qualified to tell apart a professional customer service. Should the task is done, you own an ability to obtain more expert services and improve the position. Though it supplies expert services, Phone Number the consumers can find premium large excellent data files written by skilled professional. Service Center Contact Address

Tyler G.

Mon, 09/16/2019 - 01:47

I've definitely considered starting up a micro brewery in my city. They have become quite popular and are growing at a steady rate. City is a bigger one so it's no surprise that the market has developed a larger interest. We have tried roasting our own coffee in the past without much luck in terms of making a solid profit but we also didn't have much start up revenue to work with. WE now have a large sum saved up so we were thinking of opening up a brewery & cafe together! Who doesn't like quality beer and good coffee!? Anyways, I'll for sure be reading more on here and learning as much as i can, good to see there are others here chiming in with their opinions as well, the more the better!
Tyler | drivingschoolwinnipeg.com | window cleaning steinbach

How much does …

Mon, 12/10/2012 - 03:12

[...] More >> Modern Times Beer. [...]

Modern Times

Wed, 01/16/2013 - 05:53

That's exactly my point: you can start for much less, but it depends on what you view as a "necessity" (also on how big you want to go.) If you don't feel that sloped and coated floors, a steam jacketed kettle, etc. etc. are necessary, then you can start with less. But those decisions have a very real impact on both the consumer experience and the work experience in the brewery.

Alan

Tue, 12/11/2012 - 06:42

I love how transparent you are about the process. I think there are a lot of people out there (like myself) that love trying new beer from new breweries but don't know anything about brewing specifics.

When you break it down like this, it's clear you're serious and have a plan of attack.

I'd be more willing to donate to a kickstarter run by a project that already has a bunch of assets but explains what else they need to purchase and why in an open, honest, logical and reasonable way than a brewery begging for $10K trying to rush into production and distribution.

Modern Times

Tue, 12/11/2012 - 06:48

Awesome, glad to hear it Alan. Rest assured I will detail exactly what Kickstarter funds will be used for. Honesty is, for me, at the root of authenticity, so every time I ask myself, "Should I really be putting this info out there?", the answer almost always ends up being "yes."

Thomas M.

Tue, 12/11/2012 - 04:30

Excellent article and very well written I must say. If prose is your weakness compared to your brewing skill, America, watch out we've got a winner. Best of luck in the endeavour and I hope you're able to exceed the funding goals on Kickstarter.

Modern Times

Fri, 02/01/2013 - 11:55

1. Yes, it was exaggerated for effect, but nonetheless, the comments sounded suspicious of my motives, rather than purely curious. Either way, it's the internet and there's no tone of voice, so it's hard to tell.

2. If you disagree in principle with crowdfunding, then we just have to agree to disagree. I think Kickstarter is amazing and brilliant and totally appropriate because businesses are not just profit/loss machines, they are social organisms and it makes perfect sense to me why someone would want to participate in the creation of one. Practically speaking, there are countless benefits to making improvements when you're already doing construction rather than waiting until you've accumulated capital through sales.

3. They do share in the rewards by receiving--literally--rewards, which in this case will include t-shirts. Kickstarter allows fans to work towards a common goal on a deadline, which you can't do with a standard online shop.

4. Glad to hear you're a fan of the blog!

Mike Strickland

Fri, 02/01/2013 - 11:07

I'm late to the commenting party here, but I suspect I may be the genesis of this posting. Though I don't recall referring to you as "Lord Bountiful," I did comment the following on Facebook: "I may have missed something, but I'm curious why a brewery that raised over $1M in startup funds needs a Kickstarter campaign?"

My comment (and the single other comment questioning your need for more funds) lacked the snarky tone of the example in your first paragraph above, but as a wordsmith myself, I give you a pass for artistic license to make your point (which, I agree with the others, was well expressed).

Just to clarify why I asked the question in the first place, I suppose I personally disagree on principle with the idea of a for-profit enterprise essentially asking for donations (you yourself use the word "donors"), especially when that business is already well funded. Yes, I understand the Kickstarter model -- it's more like patronage than charity -- but in spirit, it's meant to fund creative projects, not businesses (I'm not saying brewing is not creative, but it is a business nevertheless). If you have enough money to start now, but would like to have the extra bells 'n' whistles that more funds could buy, then maybe the better approach would be to open with what you've got, and if your product is all that (I look forward to trying it), then the funds to improve your customers' experience will come.

I also believe that anyone who shares the financial risk of starting a new business should participate in the reward of that business' success as well. If you want to raise money in the kinds of incremental amounts you'd get from fans, why not just sell merchandise of some kind? That seems more like a mutually beneficial exchange. I probably wouldn't contribute via Kickstarter, but I'd buy a T-shirt or two! :-)

In any case, you aren't holding a gun to anyone's head, and I applaud the transparency you've demonstrated so far in your business. Anyone who chooses to sponsor your campaign will certainly know what they're getting out of it. My opinion is mine alone; I just wanted to clarify my original comment, after I saw it might have inspired your posting (though I'm terribly late in chiming in). And while I haven't tried your beers yet, I count myself a fan of your blog!

Dave Bennett

Thu, 05/23/2013 - 12:31

I completely agree that $1.25million is not an obscene amount of money when you are starting a Brewery. I remember when I opened mine the shipping alone for three 30BBL tanks was a good chunk of change. Which is a whole different story. After spending an outrageous amount of money on shipping and other cost when you are new to this industry you start getting a little knowledge and finding out what everything cost and what companies to work with for transportation, installation and so on and so forth.

I also want to recommend to anyone weather it be 1st time shippers our people who have been doing it for years B4 Logistics takes care of all my transportation needs and are by far have the best communication i have dealt with thus far. So if you are looking to ship some tanks I suggest looking them up. B4heavyhaul.com

kmanandsingh

Wed, 04/09/2014 - 08:00

hi i want start beer factory in india how much cost required and equipments required to start the factoru

Otis the Town Drunk

Tue, 02/24/2015 - 08:25

Hi. I want two start beer factory in my house. You teach me how fore how much dollars ?

Rick Astley

Tue, 02/24/2015 - 08:29

We're no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do I
A full commitment's what I'm thinking of
You wouldn't get this from any other guy

I just want to tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

[Chorus:]
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it

And if you ask me how I'm freeing
Don't tell me you're too blind to see

[Chorus x2]
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

(Ooh give you up)
(Ooh give you up)
(Ooh) Never gonna give, never gonna give (give you up)
(Ooh) Never gonna give, never gonna give (give you up)

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it

I just want to tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

[Chorus]
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Milton

Mon, 06/17/2019 - 04:19

Hi, Neat post. There's a problem together with your site in web explorer, could check this?
IE still is the market chief and a huge portion of folks will pass
over your great writing because of this problem.

Here is my weblog ... Learn More Here

mark

Wed, 06/24/2015 - 12:43

Not a fan of this guy... Grass roots businesses need to do more for less, not beg like a bit*h. Also who are you to not once but twice question someone's motives for their comment? That other guy was giving you large benifit of the doubt and still you tried to slam him... Real cute. $50,000 for a sloped floor is ridiculous and only showed that you don't knowJack about contractors

Jesse

Mon, 12/17/2018 - 01:11

In simply click the following internet page modern globe, a major amount of individual population withstands illness pertaining to demanding anxiety.
A lot of these preys unfortunately begin utilizing strong
anti-anxiety prescriptions in hopes of remedying their illness, without the expertise that all-natural herbs
may drastically slender stress and anxiety. I am actually mosting likely to go over a handful of factors with you listed below on why just
before turning to using costly and also possibly dangerous medicines, you ought to review using natural herbs.

Kishore Maharjan

Sun, 09/13/2015 - 05:38

Can someone give clue as to how much it would cost to setup a brewery plant that can produce beer of Warsteiner quality, with capacity of 60,000 HL per annum?

Akash

Sun, 11/01/2015 - 01:15

Hmm'hmmm Some people believe that the beer is most necessarily in life . I hope tha5 beer is the best in the world

PAWAN

Sat, 01/09/2016 - 11:41

i want to open beer plant at Rajasthan in India
please give me financial support

Josh

Sat, 01/16/2016 - 04:59

It's odd to think you need over a million. I've been to a lot of micro breweries and my favorite beer is always home brew. Made with a couple hundred dollars of equipment. Personally I'd rather go to a place with 100 5 gallon buckets fermenting than the big brew places. They lose the crispness.

Faye

Sun, 09/15/2019 - 05:23

Good post! I checked out your blog site quite regularly,
and you're continuously coming up with some decent staff.
I shared this post on my Facebook, and my followers loved it.
To the next. Cheers.

my web-site - Alex Wood

Sabir ali

Thu, 01/28/2016 - 04:49

Sir im interest in small beer factory plant maharashtra
Procedure and licenced etc.

Alex

Sun, 02/07/2016 - 12:48

Shoot, so that's that one susospep.

S r rao

Thu, 03/24/2016 - 10:35

Sir I would interest in small beer factory plant in vizag please tell me procedure and minimum cost of plant with full details

Alex

Tue, 07/05/2016 - 08:19

"Not a fan of this guy… Grass roots businesses need to do more for less, not beg like a bit*h. Also who are you to not once but twice question someone’s motives for their comment? That other guy was giving you large benifit of the doubt and still you tried to slam him… Real cute. $50,000 for a sloped floor is ridiculous and only showed that you don’t knowJack about contractors."
Mark,
You are entitled to your own opinions and hurt sensibilities, so i'll leave you alone there.
However, I think you're off on your assumptions about the $50,000 sloped floor. Depending, on how exactly it is done, I see anywhere from $5-$12/sq ft for the slope in a brewery. Of course,variables include type of material, degree of slope, PSI, location, etc. I believe modern times was a 30 BBL brewhouse at ~3,000 BBL its first year within 12,500 sq ft, with several bright tanks and fermenters, maybe glycol and other big heavy tanks. Upon sloping the floor, they probably also installed trenches, and some effluent plumbing, a curb, perhaps other necessities as well. Brewers will reinforce that a sloped floor is not a luxury, it is nearly a requirement. With 3,000 BBL on the first year, and plans for expansion (24,000 this year), it makes far more sense to do that up front. No one wants to be in charge of squeegeeing the other water that comes with 24,000 BBL worth of production. Its also inefficient.

Pranali

Tue, 07/26/2016 - 12:31

I wanted to start up beer industry in maharastra..
Plzz suggest....

R.DINESH

Wed, 11/02/2016 - 06:44

I will start a new beer factory.

Laxmi narayana

Thu, 12/01/2016 - 06:26

I want to start a beer company in Hyderabad . so please give me the estimation cost with minimum investment.

Shubham Bhalla

Sun, 01/22/2017 - 06:52

I have 63000acre land of my family in India I want to own a international business in alcoholic beverages company name address phone email and I have to go back in touch base on my own a house that the same as before you go ahead of you who me to send it out of stock image not sure how long does the trick is a great time and place them on a sprint cup format for a couple days and then the rest are the same day service to our house in +91 7206251749on my phone and blackberry by us know when the sun

harrycarlos

Mon, 03/05/2018 - 02:33

I am Harry Carlos a Legitimate And a Reputable money Lender. We are dynamic company with financial assistance.We loan funds out to individuals in need of financial assistance at 3% interest rate, that have a bad credit or in need of money to pay bills,to invest on business.

FILL OUT THE BORROWERS DATA BELOW.

Your name :____
Sex: ______
Your country :_____
Your address :_______
Your profession :_______
Your marital status :_______
Current status of the workplace :____
Mobile number :______
Monthly Income :______
Amount Needed :______
Loan Duration :_______
Zip :________
Purpose of loan :________
E-mail :_______

Harrycarlosloanfirm@gmail.com service include; Refinance,Home Improvement,Investment Loan,Auto loans,Debt Consolidation,Line of Credit,Second Mortgage,Business Loans, Personal Loans,Car Loan.

Email:
Thanks.
Mr. Harry Carlos
Harrycarlosloanfirm@gmail.com

harrycarlos

Mon, 03/05/2018 - 02:35

FILL OUT THE BORROWERS DATA BELOW.

Your name :____

Email:
Thanks.
Mr. Harry Carlos
Harrycarlosloanfirm@gmail.com

Melody

Wed, 01/30/2019 - 02:37

Marketing has enhanced to one of the most demanding and also crucial elements of needing
to manage a business. over at this website eventually
suggests that the total success of your company is actually visiting rely generally on the performance of your ad campaign.

nelly

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 08:33

I got my programmed and blanked ATM card to
withdraw the maximum of $5,000 daily for a maximum of 30
days via (wesleymarkhackers@gmail.com).
I am so happy about this because i got mine last week and I have used it to get $150,000. Wesley mark Hackers is giving
out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it
is something nice. get yours from wesley mark Hackers today! Just send an email
to (wesleymarkhackers@gmail.com)
or watsapp +16315383658

Casifew

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 06:34

Hello. I'm Jeff

Wesley mark

Mon, 04/02/2018 - 05:01

I have been hearing about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts. Until one day i discovered a hacking guy called Mr Gonzalez, he is really good at what he is doing. Back to the point, I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. If it works or even Exist. They told me Yes and that it's a card programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. This was shocking and i still had my doubts. Then i gave it a try and asked for the ATM card. Hoping and praying it was not fake. Four days later i received my card and tried with the closest ATM machine, It worked like magic. I was able to withdraw up to $6000. This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life. So far i have being able to withdraw up to $78,000 without any stress of being caught. I don’t know why i am posting this here, i just felt this might help those of us in need of financial stability. The blank ATM has really change my life. If you want to contact them, Here is the email address (digitalmarkrobhackers@gmail.com)

Jana Wang

Sat, 04/07/2018 - 09:45

Thank you for sharing. To start a brewery, the money will be spent on many places: building, equipment, staff, materials,and a certain running budget. I am a member of beer equipment manufacture in China. Some of our customers ever worked in big breweries and they have relatively high requirement to the configuration that cause a very high equipment budget. But some customer follow more normal configuration. So for example for a 30bbl equipment, the budget have big difference such as USD150000 minimum, or up to USD300000. So different ideas/consideration cause different budget for starting a brewery.

Derrick

Fri, 04/27/2018 - 12:34

Hello everyone, we are excited to see you all here. This is Derrick from Shandong Tiantai Beer Equipment Co.,Ltd, which specialize in beer brewing equipment for more than 15 years. If you are wondering the cost to start a microbrewery? We can give you a budget according to your expected capacity. While your expected brewery capacity, the cost also will be various different base on different configurations. Besides, the raw material, premises, labor and other related things etc all can influence the budget. If you want to get more details email to brewery@cnbrewery.com
Http://www.microbrewerysystem.com

mike

Sat, 05/12/2018 - 04:11

Hello friend, i want to share my testimony on how i got my BLANK ATM card which have change my life today. i was once living on the street where by things were so hard for me, even to pay off my bills was very difficult for me i have to park off my apartment and start sleeping on the street of Vegas. i tried all i could do to secure a job but all went in vain because i was from the black side of America. so i decided to browse through on my phone for jobs online where i got an advert on Hackers advertising a Blank ATM card which can be used to hack any ATM Machine all over the world, i never thought this could be real because most advert on the internet are based on fraud, so i decided to give this a try and look where it will lead me to if it can change my life for good. i contacted this hackers and they told me they are from Australia and also they have branch all over the world in which they use in developing there ATM CARDS, this is real and not a scam it have help me out. to cut the story short this men who were geeks and also experts at ATM repairs, programming and execution who taught me various tips and tricks about breaking into an ATM Machine with a Blank ATM card.i applied for the Blank ATM card and it was delivered to me within 3 days and i did as i was told to and today my life have change from a street walker to my house, there is no ATM MACHINES this BLANK ATM CARD CANNOT penetrate into it because it have been programmed with various tools and software before it will be send to you. my life have really change and i want to share this to the world, i know this is illegal but also a smart way of living Big, because the government cannot help us so we have to help our self. if you also want this BLANK ATM CARD i want you to contact the Hackers email on[ mm6909158@gmail.com] and you life will never remain the same email [mm6909158@gmail.com]

Thanvi

Fri, 06/08/2018 - 10:54

uspstrack is a proof of Package delivery for sorting facilities, local post office and destination reach, without signature requirement. You can Track Your Packages in real time using this USPS Tracking

Jani

Sun, 10/28/2018 - 04:22

SEO is now the thorn in many online marketing specialists facet.
The truth is that businesses who are not currently using
specialist internet marketing services to help them together with their own online
marketing all haven't included regional in their web internet sites and marketing,
which means they are probably being penalized now from the search
engines.

Visit my site ... Learn Even more

STAN LOOK

Wed, 06/20/2018 - 07:02

We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of
card you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack services, we are here for you anytime any day.

Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $190 USD
Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $250 USD
Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $550 USD
Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $3670 USD
Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $5600 USD
The price include shipping fees , order now: contact us via
email- stanlookman@gmail.com

Henry Roger

Thu, 07/12/2018 - 04:06

BINARY OPTION TRADING!!!
I Know Some of you will be still wondering if binary trade is still real.. You don't have to be doubtful...You can get your account well managed effectively using our dynamic trading strategy to produce good profit.. Just with a minimum invest of $1000..you can start something for yourself
Invest $1000 earn $16,000
Invest $2000 earn $32,000
Invest $3000 earn $48,000
Invest $4000 earn $64,000
Invest $5000 earn $80,000
Invest $6000 earn $96,000
All in one week write him Email for more info: binary.optionstrade1988@gmail.com binary.optionstrade@yahoo.com or WhatSapp his number +16318578246.

MAKE EASY MONE…

Fri, 07/13/2018 - 03:14

ATTENTION!ATTENTION!!ATTENTION!!!

Have you heard about programmed ATM card?
Contact us to know our card balance and cost.
Email/Hangout: rustybenard2012@gmail.com