Reflecting On Our First 2 Years

With Modern Times coming up on our 2nd Anniversary, it seems like a good time to reflect on how far we’ve come. And holy shit, have we ever come far.

I started working full-time on opening the brewery in January of 2012, but we didn’t open for business until 18 months later, in July of 2013. That first year and a half was spent raising money, finding our location, building a brewery, hiring brewers, and the countless other tasks both large and small that go into starting a business. Even though it felt like an absolute pressure cooker at the time—with ungodly sums of money being spent and none coming back in—compared to actually running a brewery, it was a relatively easy time. I never dreamed I’d say that.

When we officially launched on July 8th, 2013, I was totally overwhelmed with relief. The interminable months of preparation were finally, mercifully over. It was totally surreal to see our tap handles on an actual tap tower at a real live bar. I can’t possibly explain what it felt like to see all of that work and stress and passion boiled down to a handful of taps. It was an amazing and disorienting feeling. I couldn’t stop staring at them.

By that point, Modern Times consisted of 4 people, including me. Today, there are 47 of us. I’m immensely proud of the fact that this company, which was just a stack of papers a few years ago, is now providing a livelihood to 47 hard-working people. That’s incredibly gratifying, and made even more so by the fact that many of those people have been promoted, sometimes multiple times, since starting here. Those conversations have been some of the most rewarding experiences in this whole crazy process.

And we certainly brew a lot more beer than we did at the start. The brewery itself has been transformed by our growth: what started as a handful of tanks and a big empty warehouse has become a giant tank farm and multiple very full warehouses (with more to come).

But in general, I’m not a fan of trumpeting how many barrels we’re making or how much our revenue has grown. The reason is simple: I don’t think success is self-justifying. Plenty of successful things are garbage, and impressive accounting statistics do not make them any less so. Certainly it’s nice to succeed and I’ve taken a lot of pleasure in solving the many riddles involved in growing this place, but making lots of beer and money is not an end unto itself for me. If there’s anything that frightens me about the future of craft beer, it’s the proliferation of people in the industry who view financial success as the goal, rather than as a reward for creating something awesome.

The success I’m most proud of is the quality of our beer. Without that, this whole thing wouldn’t be worth it to me. When I taste Fortunate Islands or one of the Rum Barrel-Aged Monsters’ Park bottles or any of a dozen other beers we currently have on-tap, I know I’ve accomplished what I set out to do. The satisfaction of building a successful business cannot compare to the satisfaction of tasting our sours after 18 months of hard work and waiting. For someone who is deeply passionate about beer, that is the absolute pinnacle.

I’m also deeply proud of the way we’ve pulled it off. Modern Times is a very collaborative place, and the quality of our beer is a reflection of the dozens and dozens of people who have contributed to making our beer awesome. We’ve created a place that is greater than the sum of its parts, which is harder than it sounds.

As usual, I still feel like the best is yet to come from us. There are major pillars of Modern Times that are just starting to be built. I’m excited to be creating a vehicle for supporting kickass charities (details to come on Monday). I’m excited to build more locations that embody our weirdness. I’m excited to be building a badass coffee roastery from the ground up. I’m excited to release more funky saisons, 100% Brett beers, fruited sours, barrel-aged beasts, hoppy experiments, stylistic hybrids, coffee mash-ups, and a lot more.

And I’m excited to get back to leading something approaching a more normal life. The last three and half years have been the most challenging of my entire life. It’ll be nice to (hopefully) normalize things a bit over the coming year, and maybe—maybe—even get a normal night’s sleep.

Cheers & thanks,
Jacob McKean
Modern Times Beer

Comments

Marc LaGoy

Sun, 06/28/2015 - 01:40

Congrats, Jacob & team
Your passion, heart and dedication to the craft can be found in every delicious drop of your offerings.
Your commitment to bettering the industry, being unique and genuine oozes out of every Modern Times team member I've run into the last 2 years.
Keep up the amazing work. Thank you so much for ALL you and for all you are going to do.

With Gratitude & Much Fandom,
Marc

George Thornton

Sun, 06/28/2015 - 05:09

So very proud of you all. Thank you for always sharing your insights with the rest of us. I'm always fascinated by the experiences of others.

Cheers!

ghodibankar

Mon, 12/24/2018 - 03:55

Therefore, it is advisable to learn about a genuine service agency to make your old fashioned paper. Customer Care Number May want to you need a man to compose my essay we are a wholly commited team that's prepared to offer our providers for you. If you happen to pick up support, it's extremely important to get started browsing for optimum institution. Toll Free Number Thanks for sharing such great information. If you would like to Buy medicine Online you can visit our site: Helpline Number

You have ratings and lots of very similar organizations and businesses onto the segment and you should be pretty careful and qualified to tell apart a professional customer service. Should the task is done, you own an ability to obtain more expert services and improve the position. Though it supplies expert services, Phone Number the consumers can find premium large excellent data files written by skilled professional. Service Center Contact Address

Alfredo Santaolalla

Mon, 06/29/2015 - 11:32

And that's why Modern Times is one of San Diego's and America's best breweries. Congrats MT!

StephenPaul

Wed, 03/28/2018 - 04:07

In experiential learning, the genuine learning comes after the work term when you have a chance to consider what you saw and experienced. Reflecting back about the Custom Essay Services experience is a vital component of learning and it is certainly not another thought. Indeed, a popular lesson from Confucius around lights up the significance of dynamic engagement and constant encounters in learning.

majece

Tue, 04/17/2018 - 06:54

It's very important for me to be interested in education. I write informative essays using this info and it helps me a lot.

mariadenial

Sat, 04/21/2018 - 07:21

They had to write about an experience that had shaped who they are. But this was done in the context of talking about job applications and grad school applications, and they knew they would be sharing them with classmates assignment services. I certainly wasn't expecting what she wrote, but it didn't seem to faze her at all.

Amelia Hadlock

Fri, 05/18/2018 - 01:10

The bottling works itself has been changed by our development: what began as a modest bunch of tanks and a major purge distribution center has turned into a mammoth tank cultivate and various full stockrooms with additional to come. advertising agencies in uae

Superman

Wed, 05/23/2018 - 12:57

Microsoft edge is one of the best browser my microsoft. as all browser in microsoft edge the login passwords are saved to your browser memory if you want to get that then here you will learn the process to manage saved passwords in microsoft edge step by step with the help of pictures.

Michael Jones

Tue, 06/12/2018 - 12:04

For education purpose you can look forward to the Java Assignment Help.Our assignment experts works hard to live up to the expectations and provide total peace of mind.Opting for our Assignment Help Online could be ideal for such students and they can get a complete assignment solution from us.

safewaysurvey

Wed, 08/22/2018 - 03:33

Safeway, Inc., is an American supermarket chain. Safeway is founded in April 1915. Marion Barton Skaggs is the founder of Safeway retail store. The headquarters of the chain is in Pleasanton, California, the U.S. www.safewaysurvey.net

Www.Office.Com…

Sat, 08/25/2018 - 05:46

Www.Office.Com/Setup, Office.Com/Setup - We are a Microsoft Office setup support provider to offer full-fledged technical support for those users who have any sort of issues concerning about MS Office applications.

Microsoft Offi…

Mon, 08/27/2018 - 10:29

Www.Office.Com/Myaccount, Office.Com/Myaccount - Let's Connect with our skilled MS Office setup experts via Email, call or live chat and get instant and immediate support for any Www.Office.Com/Setup related query. We choose to solve your issues remotely so your time and money can be saved.

Www.Avg.Com/Retail

Mon, 08/27/2018 - 10:37

Avg.Com/Retail, Avg.Com/Registration - Get AVG support by Avg customer service number. We bring world best class remote customer support to fix-up technical glitches by Avg phone number.

John Bill

Mon, 09/03/2018 - 06:18

I would really prefer more information on this issue as I have working on a research over this so kindly keep us updating with your experience more and more. I am already in love with this blog of yours. Good work and nice post.How To Extra Money

office.com/setup

Sat, 09/08/2018 - 06:33

Thank you so much for sharing these amazing tips. I must say you are an incredible writer, I love the way that you describe the things. Please keep sharing.

office.com/setup

Hard Work

Fri, 09/14/2018 - 12:09

Thanks for the post. google

Norris Dean

Thu, 09/27/2018 - 10:49

I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! I am Impressed. We appreciate that please keep going to write more content...

office.com/setup

Eric Pinciotti

Mon, 10/01/2018 - 04:27

These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website. I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. I am Impressed. Please keep going to write more content...

Mcafee.com/Activate

Charlie Noah

Tue, 10/02/2018 - 07:15

Hi, I read your post and found it quite interesting. The post you shared is very unique and informative. Thanks for sharing such a useful post.

office.com/setup

Lee Hans

Thu, 10/04/2018 - 12:17

This is really helpful post, very informative there is no doubt about it. I found this one pretty fascinating.

norton.com/setup

Ron Woods

Mon, 10/08/2018 - 02:27

I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. I am Impressed. Thank You!

norton.com/setup

ravi pavagi

Tue, 10/09/2018 - 07:30

Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) conducted NEET 2019 evaluation at 2255 centres in 136 cities throughout the nation on May 6 and the results were published on June 4. CBSE was relieved of its obligation of conducting the NEET 2019 exam centers after the announcement of National Testing Agency (NTA).

mcafee.com/activate

Thu, 10/11/2018 - 01:22

we are providing you step by step procedure for downloading, installing and activating any McAfee antivirus security software by using a 25 character alpha-numeric activation key code.

mcafee.com/activate | mcafee.com/activate

norton.com/setup

Thu, 10/11/2018 - 01:24

Check out here complete steps for downloading, installing, uninstalling, and activating the Norton setup purchased via Norton.com/setup or from a nearby retail store.

norton.com/setup | norton.com/setup

norton.com/setup

Thu, 10/11/2018 - 04:01

norton.com/setup Download,Install and Activation.

norton.com/setup for protect your devices with Viruses,just download,install and Activate your norton setup with product key.

For more visit website: norton.com/setup

John Morrison

Fri, 10/12/2018 - 07:16

Office.com/setup- Learn how to download, install, activate, and uninstall Microsoft Office Setup on different devices and operating systems such as Mac and Windows. Activate your 25 character alphanumeric product key for Office 365, Office 2016, Office 2013, Office 2010, or Office 2007.

office.com/setup

office 2016 setup
Office MyAccount
www.office.com/setup

Stephen strange

Fri, 10/12/2018 - 12:23

Norton.com/Setup - You might have been looking for a proper guide that helps you in downloading, installing and activating the Norton Product key. Visit www.norton.com/setup and proceed for the Norton installation setup. Get Norton help at Norton Customer support toll free number.

norton.com/setup
norton.com/myaccount

Norton.com/nu16

mcafee.com/activate

Wed, 10/17/2018 - 05:49

It is amazing post, i am really impressed of your post, its realy useful. Thank you for sharing This article.
www.mcafee.com/activate

Billy Mark

Wed, 10/17/2018 - 10:11

These types of articles keep users interested in the website. I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. I am impressed. Please keep on writing more content
Visit the give link and get the complete Microsoft setup
office.com/setup
www.office.com/setup

Ethan

Wed, 10/17/2018 - 11:30

Kaspersky has been offering the best online security solutions for protecting the users’ devices as well as data
against the online threats. These online threats might get injected to the device while the users are trying to surf the
internet for various purposes like banking, shopping, and many more.
Activation.Kaspersky.Com

Ethan

Wed, 10/17/2018 - 11:31

100% Original Reviews For All Bikes Keep In Touch Top 10 Bikes In India If You Know all about new bikes.
Top 10 Bikes In India

office setup

Sat, 10/20/2018 - 09:44

Install Office Setup – Sign-in to you microsoft account and then Enter 25 digit alphanumeric office setup product key on country and language.click on next to start office installation.We are the best Office Setup in US, Canada and Australia. At Office Setup, we put high effort, moderate IT answers for organization's, and people.Whether set up or beginning, equipment or programming, system or electronic, we have something for each financial plan. officeplus.net is the exchanging name of Spacesolutions Pvt Ltd situated in California, USA. We are not Microsoft. However we are trained professionals to provide technical support for We are the world's biggest innovation wholesaler and a main innovation deals, showcasing and logistics organization for the IT business around the world. Our people group based ethos, focused costs and nature of administration settles on Office Setup the right decision for your IT needs .Whether you are a learner or experienced in IT our courses are altered to furnish you with the key achievement criteria to thrive in future attempts.
www.office.com/setup

Brother Printe…

Thu, 10/25/2018 - 01:49

Thanks for sharing such a great information with us. Your Post is very unique and all information is reliable for new readers. Keep it up in future, thanks for sharing such a useful post. Our toll-free number is accessible throughout the day and night for the customer if they face any technical issue in BROTHER PRINTER Call us +1888-621-0339 Brother Printer Support USA Brother Printer Driver Download
Brother Printer Customer Support Number
Brother Printer Support Phone Number

Max Scotty

Tue, 10/30/2018 - 01:23

This is really helpful post and very informative there is no doubt about it. I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my Collection. Very good work!

Visit us for further assistance : norton.com/setup

Cheryl Jones

Mon, 11/05/2018 - 02:26

Dial Printer Support is an independent service provider. We are here 24/7 to help you. We provide services for HP Printers, Canon Printers and Brother Printer. For any technical help you can reach us at: +1-888-621-0339.

Max Scotty

Mon, 11/12/2018 - 12:53

I am Impressed.You know how to play with words and make things happen. As a reader i fall for your words. Keep Spreading love!

office.com/setup

Buy Waklert online

Sun, 11/18/2018 - 10:30

For people having trouble with their fatigue and sleepiness, try Waklert. Waklert is one of the strongest Nootropics in the world. It comes from the Armodafinil family and is known to last for around 15 hours once ingested. Buy Waklert online from Online Pharmacy Pills for better health and increased cognition.

Buy Waklert online: